Saturday 25 July 2015

My Tragus & Daith Piercings


I was laying in bed a couple of weeks back at 2am when I couldn't sleep, and I decided on a whim that I was going to head to my local tattoo and piercing shop the next tuesday to go and get two piercings for the price of one. As I've exhausted my face, I thought the ears were the perfect place to go for. Initially I was going to have my industrial and tragus piercings, but after reading about how long industrial piercings can take to heal I talked myself out of it and decided to go for my daith instead.

I had my piercings done at Taattoo – the same place I had my septum pierced – and I was pierced by the same girl who was really friendly, chatty and put me at ease about the piercings, doing them swiftly and painlessly.


Tragus piercing // After a chat with my piercer, I decided to have my tragus pierced last as apparently the daith can be quite a tricky piercing and so was probably going to hurt more, but in my experience it was the other way around. While neither of the piercings hurt (you can definitely feel it happening, but it's by no means uncomfortable,) my tragus was definitely the trickiest to do. I had quite a thick tragus so it took quite a bit of force for the needle to get through, and so I felt the needle go in, crunch a little, and then finally pop out of the other side. 

I know a lot of people with tragus piercings and they always talked about hearing a 'pop' as the needle goes through, but for me it was definitely more of a crumbling than a pop. The best way I can describe the sound is to compare it to when cleaning the inside of your ears with a cotton bud and there's a sort of crumbling sound, similar to the feeling of crumbling a digestive between your fingers – a bit of an odd description, but that's what the process made me think of!

Shortly after getting the piercing I went a little bit deaf in the same ear, feeling as though I'd been underwater and that ear had yet to 'pop', which was strange. My piercer reassured me that it was just because the blood had run to my ear and it should clear up pretty soon, and by the next morning after cleaning the piercing a couple of times it had. So if you're cool with temporary deafness in one ear, I'd say go for it.


Daith piercing // As I mentioned, I had my daith pierced first and it was such a quick, painless procedure – if she hadn't have told me the jewellery was going in, I wouldn't have known she'd pierced it! After working myself up somewhat for this piercing to hurt, it was a nice surprise for it all to happen so quickly and painlessly. While I could feel my tragus piercing in my ear, I couldn't feel this piercing at all, and up to this day it's been absolutely no bother for me. I've found my tragus to be a little bit uncomfortable to sleep on, but I can sleep normally on my daith piercing with no discomfort, so I'd definitely say go for it if you've been considering this piercing!

All in all, the experience of these two piercings has been really positive. The piercings themselves were bearable, and the after care has been fine. I clean my piercings morning and night with boiling water and sea salt, and they seem to be doing great. My daith hasn't been any bother at all, but my tragus is sometimes a little bit messy on a morning. My piercer said my tragus piercing might 'dribble' for a while, and I now completely know what she means. Through the night I sleep on my tragus piercing a bit, and the pressure causes it to bleed a little, which means a lovely crusty ear on a morning. After a clean up however the piercing is fine, and gives me no bother throughout the day. Now it's just a case of keeping up the aftercare until they've comfortably healed!

After a couple of really great experiences with my piercer, I've decided that once these piercings have healed and I've found myself a job and have a steady source of income, I'm going to go back and have a couple of collarbone dermal piercings. Dermal piercings have always looked terrifying to me, but after a reassuring chat with my piercer and three really great piercings, i definitely trust her to do a great job of dermal piercings, too. If you're local to Barnsley and want great quality piercings at affordable prices, I'd definitely recommend heading into Taattoo and having a chat with the girls – they're lovely. If I've learnt anything from this and my septum experience, it's that piercings really don't hurt enough to get worked up about them, and also that I have a really unattractive side profile – who knew?!

I also thought I'd share a quick selfie update to show that I've recently had the ends of my hair lightened. It can often be a little difficult to see in dull lighting, but when in the right lighting you can see that my ends are now a sort of warm honey colour and I love it. That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment