Saturday 18 October 2014

saturday scribbles


today i've an assload of sketchbook/development work to share with you all to apologise for last week's sorry attempt at a saturday scribbles post.

so, first up: the top illustration is scary similar to some of gemma correll's work, i know. it wasn't until i began applying colour that i realised it, but then i thought what the heck i may as well go ahead and finish it off anyway for ~development~ purposes. if anything, putting that together has once again seen me be slapped around the face by the 'simple but complex' stick, where in which if something looks like it was thrown together, i can assure you that hours of work most definitely went into it; tessellating dogs into a repeat pattern is hard work

in other news, i'm thinking self promotion might be taking a dogs vs. cats slant because if there's anything that divides folk, it's the dogs vs. cats debate (dogs are superior though, just fyi) and folk of the illustration/design type are often known for freelancing amongst their canine and feline friends, so hopefully it'll produce some materials relevant to the people i'm trying to target, and probably beyond those too! 

while i'm happy with the direction of my thinking, once again i'm pulling my hair out over my ability to illustrate. i've had moments this week sat at my desk crying over how i couldn't draw a dog, moments crying because i can never develop anything past sketch form into something worthy of merit, and moments crying because at the minute i feel like throwing in the towel and giving in altogether because i just can't seem to produce anything that doesn't fill me with dissatisfaction. i've said it once, i'll say it again: drawing well is hard. i'm struggling so bad at the minute, but i'm hoping i can keep my head up and work through it until i see the light at the end of the tunnel and a finished illustration that i'm not so horribly ashamed of. 

while i'm not overly happy with anything i've shared above, i do understand the importance of sharing the intimacy of failed work for purposes of self reflection and being honest with and engaging your audience, so hey, i've tucked away my ego and laid it all out here for you to see how horribly embarrassing a place my sketchbook can be at times.

6 comments:

  1. Those are all gorgeous. I love your style and I am so jealous of your abilities. X
    www.lemontierres.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ever so much sjoukje, so kind of you!

      Delete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love your work. And I agree 100% on the cats vs dogs debate. Dogs. Always.
    Keep up the good work!
    -Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much kelsie! glad to have another dog person on board with me haha ;)

      Delete
  3. Wauw it's so pretty! You're so talented! I've put your blog in an article about my favourite British bloggers a few days ago, thought it would be nice to let you know :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, i'm heading over to your blog right now to check it out :)

      Delete