Tuesday 11 August 2015

Quick, easy & yummy vegan pancakes


August marks 8 months of me being vegetarian, and in that time I've taught myself enough about animal products and the exploitation of those animals to know that the next obvious step for me personally is to become vegan, so lately I've been easing myself into the lifestyle and researching substitutes and recipes for delicious vegan alternatives to what currently makes up my diet. 

One lunchtime recipe that I've been enjoying frequently is one for vegan pancakes, and honestly, they're some of the thickest, tastiest pancakes I've ever cooked up for myself, so I thought I'd share below how quick and easy this lunch is to make. 

YOU WILL NEED...



  • 120ml milk substitute (I used soya)
  • 100g plain flour
  • Vegetable oil (1tsp for the mixture, more for cooking)
  • Lemon juice (1/2 tbsp)
  • Baking powder (1/2 tbsp)
  • Ground cinnamon (1/2 tbsp)
  • 1 banana (preferably over ripe)
  • Mixing bowl
  • Fork
  • Whisk
  • Frying pan
  • Spatula
  • 15 minutes
METHOD...



Once you've rounded up all of your ingredients, start by mashing up the banana in your mixing bowl with a fork before adding the lemon juice, vegetable oil, ground cinnamon and baking powder before mixing to form a paste.


Next, add all of the flour to your paste and mix it in, before slowly adding your milk substitute and whisking it in until you have a thick but runny consistency (almost like yoghurt.) After preparing your mixture, add some vegetable oil to your frying pan and heat on a medium temperature until the pan and oil is hot.


To cook, add a small amount of your mixture to the centre of the pan, spreading it into a circular shape. Cook for around a minute until the edges of the pancake are cooked and little air bubbles being to appear in the mixture. Lastly, flip your pancake and cook for another minute or so until your pancake is golden brown on both sides.


When you've used all of your mixture, simply plate up your pancakes and serve with a topping of your choice; I opted for maple syrup and fresh strawberries this time and it was delicious and filling – a perfect lunchtime meal to see you through to the evening! The measurements used in this recipe makes three medium sized pancakes and I find it to make a perfect sized lunch, but of course you can add or take away ingredients as you please!

This is a little out of the norm for my blog as I don't ever recall posting a recipe before, but with me really trying to embrace the vegan lifestyle I thought it'd be nice for me to incorporate it more into my blog wherever possible, and by doing so hopefully it'll help me to connect with fellow vegans whose recipes I could use to inspire my own diet. If you're vegan or know of any vegan blogs, do feel free to leave your recommendations in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe! I made some this morning for my family and they went down well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome – I'm glad you all enjoyed them! :)

      Delete